Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's time...

There is definitely a learning curve when it comes to raising a child. We are at another milestone-- he'll be one in two weeks. Supposedly, I heard you are supposed to get rid of formula, get rid of bottles, get rid of baby food, and start transitioning to one nap a day... oh, and they are supposed to be walking, RIGHT!!! This is tough, and this seems like it'd be really tough for Little Joey. He likes his schedule, his naps, his huge 8-10 oz bottles at 7, 11, 3, and 8, his baby food(especially squash), and his warm formula. However, it's time. He weighs in at a whopping 30 lbs and he's starting to wake up earlier and earlier every morning. Monday I was talking to a patient at work. She has 3 kids. You could tell she enjoyed giving advice, but definitely not in a pushy way. She said it was time, so I started listening. We are slowly transitioning. The past three days LJ has only had 3 bottles (sippy cup at 3), he's been taking one nap a day fairly easily (but I have a feeling some days he'll still have two), he's given up baby food, and we're diluting his formula half/half with vitamin D milk... COLD!!!! This may not seem to be too big of a deal to you, however, when you change a baby, excuse me, a big boy's schedule around IT IS A BIG DEAL!!
I think I have slowly earned myself the nickname of "Question Master." Every person I know who has a little kid, I ask them between 10-30 questions about these milestones. I call friends daily. I read book after book. I'm slightly obsessed with trying to figure out what would be best for LJ. After the day is done, I think to myself, "Ya know, it really doesn't matter. He'll still grow up to be a handsome big man (and maybe even thin out a bit-jk)."


Hello Birthday Month!!
(My family has birthday months, not days.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoa sista! we did not give up our morning nap until we were EIGHTEEN MONTHS old!!! there are some things that don't need to be rushed! we changed to all milk all day in sippy cups at 12 months (still heated though) and a bottle at night until around 13/14 months...if he still needs that AM nap my vote is to let him have it!!!

The Freij Family said...

Thank God you are the question Queen b/c I am the question Princess and appreciate all the "hand me down" advice. I'm beginning to drive Randy crazy with books and internet searches and constant questions to expert mommies. Us hygienists must have a unique personality :)...but we love our babies!

Mary Kidwell said...

LEAAAHHH! first an foremost, can we please please please talk about how freakin cute 'lil joe joe is?!? cause oh.my.goodness... i for cereal could squeeze those super cutie cheeks right off! (in a really friendly, non creepy or at all scary way, of course) - haha!
second, since i'm doing my blog through work, i have to print out all those ultra boring stat sheets, and nothing warms my heart more than seeing this blog address pop over! it really does mean a lot that your stopping in checking it out! feel free to keep poppin over... cause you know i'm hittin this treat up for a daily dose of cuteness :)

Mary Kidwell said...

post script... congrats on the upcoming bday! i hope joey does better with his cake than liam (t and lindsay's baby) did... he was sooo not into it. whatadiva.