Thursday, April 9, 2009

ENT appt.

You probably remember LJ got tubes in his ears about a month ago. While we were at one of his appointments, our ENT asked how Big Joey and my hearing was. Well, I told the truth. During my pregnancy the hearing in my right ear started to be a "little muffled." It never got better. So today I went and had my hearing tested. The ENT explained my diagnosis that on a scale of 1-10 and 10 being the best, my good ear had 8's,9's, and 10's. Well, my left hear had 2's, 3's, and 4's. Yep, I have hearing loss. Apparently this happens a lot during pregnancy. My nerve is in good shape. It's the stapes that went bad. One of the three bones in my ear has pulled away from it's place and the ENT either needs to go in and use a piece of titanium to connect them or.... well let me get back to this surgery thing. When he goes in to place this piece of titanium, I have a small chance of going completely deaf. Uh, ya. I'm not taking that chance. The other option is a hearing aid. Yes, a hearing aid. I'm 24 years old. My poor ENT must have thought I was crazy when I went baaazerk when he told me this. He asked me to stay to take a look at them, and I refused. I told him I needed to swallow this and I'd come back. Meanwhile, he asked me to go get a CT scan to rule out tumors. I thought I was going to go in today with the diagnosis of a little fluid or maybe even that I was completely overreacting and my hearing was fine. Nope, I'm getting a hearing aid..... well, I'm still thinking about it.

No comments: