Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trying to get ahead...


Does anyone else feel like that? They're constantly trying to "get ahead." Why is that? Why do we always have to be so worried about the future and money and plans??? Big Joey and I have been dealing with a butt load of medical bills. Just to brief you- we had 3 bills from when LJ was a Riley. The St. Francis ER bill (mind you we were only getting sub par service for 25 minutes of the 4 1/2 hours we were there) was $3,000. The ambulance bill was $7,000 and Riley was only $9,000. Pretty amazing how these don't make a bit of sense. I would have paid Riley $50,000 for the wonderful 24 hour care we received for 4 days. I just don't get it. So, Joey and I have made a plan to get these bills paid last night. We felt so good seeing a light at the end of the tunnel on how we were going to do this. Then today, Joey brought my car in for an oil change- oh what do I need?? $500 worth of rotor and calibers. AAHH!!! It just doesn't end. I do have a feeling we aren't the only people feeling like this, but geeze louise!!
I do, however, feel blessed we have our health. I can go to bed at night feeling good knowing we are healthy. Today a coworker asked how LJ was doing. I replied, "he's eating and drinking." That's true. It's such a great feeling to know he's doing okay.
Now I have a few goals I have been wanting to tackle. Hear me out if these seem realistic.
1. I want to play a musical instrument. Actually, Kris Allen from American Idol inspired me. I started taking guitar lessons about 2 months ago. I'm having a blast. I only know how to play "Sweet Home Alabama," "The Star Spangled Banner" (which my mom says sounds like "The Battle Hymm of the Republic"), "Don't Fear The Reaper," and "Yesterday." Random mix, huh? I don't know how long I'll take, but I feel this is something I can do with LJ and I'm so excited to keep learning.
2. Join a small group bible study. Now this one hasn't been accomplished yet- actually I feel so far from accomplishing this. I need to find a good group that either allows little ones or there's a daycare. I'm struggling with this one, but hopefully in time (with enough prayer, right?).
3. Clean out our guest bedroom. Please tell me I'm not the only one that is using their only other bedroom in the house as storage. AHHH!! I hate this soooo much, but what are we to do with all of our "stuff?" Do we really need a storage facility?? Uck!
4. Reach out to other couples with little ones. I feel like I'm always seeking out other parents with their experiences. I get some great advice from the girls at work and the girls I used to work with, but I feel like it'd be so helpful to be able to spend more time with other coupleswith little ones. Big Joey and I both feel there is just soo much to learn with the babe.
Well, I'm exhausted. I have more goals, but I'm done for now. I'm working part-time for my Uncle now. I work Thursday 11:30-6:30 and Friday 6:45am-2pm, so it's time to go to bed.
Night!
P.S. LJ still isn't walking. Big Joey and I were talking about what age we were going to start him in sports today.
Joey's first thought was "As long as he's walking."
My response, "He's a fast crawler. He'll be fine."
Joey's response, "Well, with soccer you can't use your hands."

4 comments:

Amy said...

Hi Leah! Thanks for writing another great blog. I love reading them! :) So I may have an idea to help with your small Bible study group. Our church is getting ready to do a "One Month to Live" church-wide Bible study. Our friend Tim is the pastor in charge of the curriculum, and although I don't know too much about it, I do LOVE the idea of having an opportunity to live my life like I only have one month to live. :) After the month long series is over, then people will have the opportunity to continue on with their group, or change groups if they'd like. They will be organized by phase of life...so you and Joey would be in a group with other couples with young kids. :) We've done it for 2 years and have enjoyed the spiritual growth and fellowship. We are getting ready to do sign-ups soon, so let us know if you are interested. You can always just facebook me. :) Take care!

Unknown said...

I break off all assignments against your finances in the mighty name of Jesus. I close all doors and entryways the enemy has created to come in and zap your finances in the mighty name of Jesus. Father Your word says You own the cattle on a thousand hills and that tells me that we will never be without steaks and milkshakes. I speak prosperity over Joey, Leah and LJ right now in the mighty name of Jesus....prosperity in their health, prosperity in their spirits, prosperity in their finances, prosperity in their family right now in Jesus' mighty name. Everywhere the enemy is trying to cause division and doubt I shut the door and seal it with the blood of Jesus. I speak peace be still to Leah & Joey's minds in the midst of these expenses. Father open the windows of heaven and pour out such financial blessings upon this young family and let them be debt free in the name of Jesus.

Father, Leah is looking for a bible study. Put her in contact with the group YOU desire her to fellowship with. I pray her spirit is like a sponge and absorbs all that You have to teach her Holy Spirit.

I thank YOU Father for the provision of a job with her uncle. May her uncle's business prosper and be blessed in the mighty name of Jesus. Bless this family on both sides of the family lines....from oldest to youngest...abundant blessings, pressed down and running over in Jesus' mighty name! Many hugs dear ones!

Unknown said...

One more thing Father, draw Leah closer to You. May she develop a relationship with You that is strong and sweet. May she learn how to be the bride that Christ desires. Use this lovely lady to win souls for Your mighty kingdom in Jesus' mighty name.

Leah I see the Lord standing before you with many packages, with pretty paper and bows. I don't know what all is in those packages, but I know He has many things He desires to give you. Get into His word and just seek His face....the rest will fall into place. Hugs again!

Leah Matis said...

Thank you Bert! Your kind words mean the world to me.