Friday, August 20, 2010

I called it.

September of 2007, I called it. I was with my hubby and in-laws at Cheeseburger in Paradise and said the market was going to hit a low of about 7,000 and it's going to start the process of teaching my generation how to prioritize. We've been given so much on a silver platter and it is time to actually learn something that our Grandparents did. Over the past 3 years, I have learned so much! We are close to getting completely out of debt other than our home, I have learned how to grow a garden, I know how to save at least 50% at the grocery store with coupons and I usually can save about 70% at CVS and get a pack of 96 diapers for $3. I understand the idea of buying only what we eat and I enjoy being creative and using all of our produce before it goes bad. I don't mind packing my lunch, eating at home and saving money by making my own coffee in the morning versus a Starbuck run. All of this and more has ultimately made me healthier too. Since I eat at home more, I eat much less sodium and calories, so when I do go out to eat I notice a huge difference in the way I feel. I also care a lot about what I'm eating at home. We buy at least half of our food organic, and we just bought a deep freezer for our grass fed, hormone calf we just bought for the winter. Little Joey begs me to go to the markets on Wednesday and Saturday and there isn't much there he won't try. We also find more joy in doing free things versus always paying to do something "kid friendly."

It's amazing what a recession can teach someone... if you're teachable. I am refreshed now that I have more control over my expenses and health, and I actually feel a ton better mentally and physically. You should try it.

No comments: